Pages

Tuesday 10 May 2011

The FAST5 Experience of the IMAX Virgin

Rio, an exotic paradise rich in culture and drug lords, one that rapes its splendor from inside itself- that is how it was shown in the story – is the setting of FAST5. The fifth installment of the Fast and Furious franchise, the movie is about a team of American car thieves' cleverly pulling a $100M​+ job, while on the run from US authorities, against one of the most exceptionally corrupt businessmen in Brazil.

Incidentally, a friend was invited by Solar Entertainment to a special screening of FAST5 Rio Heist, set on May 2, 2011 at the IMAX theatre in SM Mall of Asia. Fortunately, we happened to talk a week prior in which it was mentioned that the invite included a “+1”. Proudly admitting of being an IMAX virgin, it definitely was not accidental that the “+1” privilege was awarded to me.

Now, Fast and Furious had always satisfied the audience with sexy cars, exciting road stunts and exhilarating chases; testosterone induced, muscles clenched bashing sequences; and, of course, unpredictable twists in the plot injected with more than a small dose of humor, romance and irony . FAST5 Rio Heist is greatly telling in this way, leaving the audience wanting more and looking forward to the next Fast and Furious episode.


Honestly, much of my interest in seeing the movie leaned towards convenience and practicality, when news of its release in the Philippines hit the airwaves, for DVD copies would surely be available, lined up along side-streets shortly after (in-discretely as per the accepted policy in piracy). The facts that most of the members of our family are BIG fans of Dominic Torreto (Vin Diesel), for his brawny and misplaced sense of honor, and my mother being fascinatingly fond of the cute tragic hero in Brian O'Connor (Paul Walker)  were subjects of consideration; that, my thought balloon was more logical than moral - it being, “better to have a copy so everyone can see it repeatedly without having to spend so much. And if it does not turn out to be THAT good, I wouldn't be heartbroken at all.”

So that when FAST5 started rolling on the big 3D screen, I felt like a blundering fool, fidgeting in my seat, nervous in anticipation. Against my chest, my heart thumped thunderously as the movie progressed. Rio became palpable and alive with the GT40's screeching tires. Hobbs'(Dwayne Johnson) gunning barraged my senses, as if pricking my skin with a thousand needles. The screaming menace of Reyes(Joaquim de Almeida), that tempted Vince(Matt Shulz) into a stupid bundle, was softened by Mia's(Jordana Brewster) lovely idealism; while, Tyrese's(Roman Pearce) loudness was muffled by Tej's(Ludicrus) smarts. The cars let past the hour (or two) easily by - my heart on my sleeve as I watched Han(Sung Kang) strolling away behind the wheel of his Maverick in one instant, and then sporting Giselle(Gal Gadot) behind the wheel of another in the next.

When the lights turned on in the IMAX cinema, I was breathless, panting, giddy, and yet, terribly dissapointed. The best is yet to come, my friends said. I thought, “But what's to come, I want it NOW!” Clearly, this IMAX virgin was completely satisfied during her first time.

Thank you Jeman Bunyi Villanueva of Orange Magazine TV for letting me be the “+1”!!!

Catch Fast5 Rio Heist, showing in cinemas and the IMAX theatre!

2 comments: