Pages

Tuesday 17 May 2011

Exceptionally Homely at the Grand Prix Hotel and Suites Manila


One most singular trait of Filipinos, based locally or abroad, is their having close ties with their families.  Sprung from the matriarchal (patriarchal?) concept of society, handed from one generation to another since the time of Lapu-lapu; of Rizal, Bonifacio and Aguinaldo; of Ninoy, Cory and Noynoy;  culturally,  is as convenient in its economy as the tabo (dipper) in the bathroom, or the kwek-kwek  lined up beside the Baclaran Church every Wednesday.  The Gran Prix Hotels and ResortsGrnad Prix Hotels and Suites currently sprouting branches in the busiest cities in the country - particularly in Pasay, Manila, Cubao, Tarlac, Cebu and Boracay - noticeably treasures the Filipino's valuation of hospitality. 


They invited 12 bloggers, for an overnight party, at the Gran Prix Hotel and Suites, Manila on May 7, 2011, through Orange Magazine TV. Located along Mabini Street in Ermita, the low-rise Tesoro building bespoke with the rest of the city about its faintly echoing ancestry – with a quaintness depicting the period after WWII had broken loose whilst women had not.

Upon my late entrance, the receptionist, donned in a simply cut tailored suit, her hair tied up in a neat bun at the nape of her neck, flashed a coquettish smile, unmistakably an epitome of my ate (elder sister), as she extended her hand in a manner graceful as a ballerina to direct me to the elevator. Sixth floor she said. I could choose who to room with at the sixth floor, I recall her gentle instructions. I was the 9th guest to arrive and was given a Superior Room with the fabulous Alex Dizon.

Although I found the amenities of Gran Prix Hotel and Suites Manila to have the grace of comfort well thought of, it was not until after dinner that I recognized its priceless well-meaning.


Having committed myself to 7 months of immono-therapy, my allergologist had imposed a hypo-allergenic diet that has cut me off the pleasure of dining out. As I watched my friends sipping Monggo Soup and nibbling at crusty Tomato and Smoked Fish Bruschetta, I was inundated with pangs of regret I could only hide with large sips of iced-tea. When the Lamb Shanks Calderetta with Buttered Jardiniere Vegetables and Whipped Potatoes followed shortly after, the feeling in my stomach had turned into an amassing amount of greed that I could not but leave the room, wait a few minutes and decide to suck it up the moment I stubbed out my 3rd cigarette. The waiter was serving dessert when I re-positioned myself at the far end of the table. On the third time that evening, I shook my head as he offered the delicate concoction; shameful that my compliments to the chef would be limited to the presentation of the apparently perfectly executed Chocolate-Coffee Lava Cake with Rosemary-vinegar gelato.

And then he came out to greet us and I was redeemed. The young Executive Chef of the Namayan Resto-bar offered to cook a special dish just for me.  For the first time in a long time, more than finally being able to eat something, I tasted flavor other than salt.  The Potato Rostii with Herbed Tomates was like velvet in my mouth, a blanket of warmth in my cold stomach. 

It was like returning to my mother's house, where the aroma of picadillo mingles with the gentle breeze, wresting my sibling's squabbling.  I searched for the waiter and caught him say with his eyes, "I would not have let you starve", very much like how our housekeeper would have mouthed them out loud.  

I slept well that night, for I felt safe. I was with family.  I was welcome.  I was home.


Find Grand Prix Hotels and Resorts on Facebook and get a chance to fly to Boracay, and experience Grand Prix Hotels and Resorts signature hospitality!  Just follow the links below, like 'em pages and you're halfway there!  









No comments:

Post a Comment